At Sound Urological Associates we treat a wide variety of urinary and reproductive issues that are specific to men and that can have a major impact on life. Our focus is on education, prevention, and minimally invasive treatment solutions whenever possible.
The treatment of prostate cancer is complex and in constant flux. Depending on the characteristics of a particular man’s disease, different treatment options are appropriate. We diagnose prostate cancer with the aid of the PSA blood test, digital rectal examination, and transrectal ultrasound-guided prostate needle biopsy. If prostate cancer is present, our doctors will help you understand the nature of the disease and guide him through the therapies that are best suited for the individual. We take pride in the ability to treat a man throughout the entire spectrum of his disease. Treatment options include:
- Active Surveillance, routine monitoring of prostate cancer with PSA and digital rectal examination
- Robotic Prostatectomy, surgical removal of the prostate with the aid of a robot
- Open Prostatectomy, surgical removal of the prostate
- Brachytherapy, radioactive seed implantation into the prostate
- Therapy for advanced disease, including
- Androgen deprivation therapy, chemical or surgical castration to slow prostate cancer growth
- Provenge (Sipuleucel-T) immunotherapy, stimulation of the immune system against prostate cancer
- Xgeva (denosumab) therapy, to prevent the bone complications of metastatic prostate cancer
- Zytiga (abiraterone) therapy, to slow prostate cancer growth after resistance to androgen deprivation develops
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), “enlarged prostate”
The majority of men experience difficulties urinating as they age, and the prostate is often the cause. Symptoms include slow stream, delayed start of urine stream, waking up at night to urinate, and the inability to urinate. We offer a variety of treatment options including:
- Medical therapy, medications to relax or reduce the size of the prostate
- The new UroLift® Treatment System
- Transurethral resection of bladder tumor, reducing the size of the prostate with the aid of a camera and electric knife
- Photovaporization of the prostate, reducing the size of the prostate with the aid of a camera and laser
- Open simple prostatectomy, surgical removal of the prostate through a lower abdominal incision
Erectile and Sexual Dysfunction
Difficulty with erections or sexual function can affect a man at any age, and manifests itself with different levels of severity. We offer a wide range of treatments to maximize a man’s sexual function, including
- Oral medical therapy, medications that help obtain and maintain an erection
- Vacuum therapy, devices which help obtain an erect penis
- Penile injection therapy, medications which you inject into the penis to help obtain and maintain an erection
- Penile suppository therapy, medications which you insert into the urethra to help obtain and maintain an erection
- Penile implant, placement of a prosthetic device into the penis to aid with erections
We also treat premature ejaculation and Peyronies disease (abnormal penile curvature).
A variety of conditions can affect the contents of the scrotum. These conditions can range from bothersome but benign, such as a hydrocele, to life threatening, as in the case of testicular cancer. The following conditions are managed by our physicians:
- Hydrocele, fluid-filled sac around the testicle
- Varicocele, swelling of the testicular veins
- Spermatocele, sperm-filled sac in epididymis
- Hypogonadism, effects from low testosterone
- Scrotal masses, growths in scrotum
- Testicular cancer, tumors of testicles
Any growth or abnormality of the penis is not normal and should be investigated. Our physicians are skilled in the diagnosis and treatment of penile growths, whether a result of a sexually transmitted diseases or cancer.
Uncircumcised men can have a variety of problems with their foreskin, including:
- Phimosis, inability to retract the foreskin, leading to infection of the penis and difficulty urinating
- Paraphimosis, painful inability to place foreskin back into anatomic position
We can provide you with surgical (circumcision) or medical therapies to treat these conditions.
Finally, priapism, a prolonged and painful erection, is a urologic emergency. This is most commonly caused by medications used to treat erectile dysfunction, but is also associated with sickle cell disease and certain cancers. If you believe you have this condition, you require immediate urologic attention. Failure to quickly treat the problem may lead to permanent erectile dysfunction.
Vasectomy and vasovasostomy (vasectomy reversal)
For those men who desire permanent sterilization, we offer the no scalpel vasectomy. And when necessary, vasectomy reversal is also available.